Monday, February 2, 2009

Exorcists, Antique Markets and Obvious Americans

I miei amori,
It’s raining again in Arezzo…We had a couple days of sun and now we’re back to the rain. It might snow tomorrow which will be…interesting. Today was the first day of Italian class and I’m so excited! We mostly did logistical stuff…but then we learned gestures. Italians love their gestures. We also learned some fun facts about Arezzo! For example, there are only 7 exorcists authorized by the pope in the whole world, and one of them is the priest at the big duomo here. The past couple days in Arezzo have been beautiful. It’s been chilly, but so sunny! And, two exciting things happened in Arezzo this weekend. Since it’s the first of February, the gelato stores all over town have opened up! Mmm mm..so good. I love gelato and crepes with nutella. Also, every first weekend of the month there is a big antique fair and the streets are flooded with vendors with all kinds of interesting stuff. They have really beautiful old furniture and fixtures and paintings and jewelry and the most ridiculous fur coats…everything you can imagine! The tourists come for the market, and I saw other Americans in Arezzo for the first time this past weekend. We are so obvious and easy to spot…from across the Piazza you can see a group and think..yeah..they’re definitely American. My friend Lyndsay and her roommate Allie are staying in the next town came to Arezzo for the market and I got to meet up with them. It was really great to see someone from home here! After they left I went exploring! I just started walking and found all kinds of great stuff...there are cute little piazzas and churches everywhere. I think I found a place where they are excavating something…old haha. I also stumbled upon the cemetery…WOW. I’ve never seen anything like it in my whole life. It is enormous. There are all kinds of different levels and staircases all over the place and chapels. I felt like a kid on a playground..and really, REALLY wanted to play a huge game of hide and seek there…but don’t worry...my better judgment will stop me. I’ll put pictures of that up soon. It is so incredible. We’ve also discovered a Blockbuster in town haha and my roommates and I rented a couple movies. Fun fact, they sell popcorn in chip bags, pre-popped, because no one has microwaves here! In other exciting news… we just booked a hostel in Venice for 3 nights this weekend! Can’t wait to go there…Love you all :)
Baci,
J

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE VENICE! have a great time there!

    i think hide and seek would be really fun even if it's probably disrespectful of another culture. have you ever noticed that the disrespectful things are always the most fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan loves crepes with Nutella too! Have a good trip to Venice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky Jenny! You sure do live an amazing and blessed life. I've always wanted to visit Italy and with all your blogs you're making me want to visit even more. The antique fair, the gelato, the cute little piazzas and churches; I'm jealous. Have fun in Venice. I cannot wait to hear all about it. Please make sure that your hostel stay is not like the movie version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sweetie - sounds like another day in paradise - even if it is raining! I can only imagine the pictures you will come back with. I am so glad you are taking the Italian class. Your sister had a very exciting weekend as well, but I will let her tell you about it. I am headed out for four weeks of travel for work, all over the place. Not exactly the fun you are having but its exciting in its on way. Love you lots ~

    ReplyDelete